I’ve been going through a bit of a fantasy/sci-fi phase lately (well, since I was about 14), and the weirder the better it seems these days. Here’s some of the best of late (listed in order of best’ness):
- American Gods Not sure how this passed me by (considering Sandman is one of my all time favorites) when it was published first but this is really great, fully deserving of all the awards its won (the Hugo & Nebula awards for 2002 in particular).
- Only Forward Definitely in the whacked-out category, this book contains so many ideas that its surprising it’s so small! One for jogging your imagination, I thought it was brilliant. Will be trying out a few more of Mr. Smiths books in 09 for sure.
- Treason An oldie (1979) but a goodie, and also quite whacked out. Oddly, this is the only other book of Orson Scott Cards that I enjoyed apart from the epic Enders Game series, I should really go back and give a few others a try.
- Mockingbird Again an oldie (written in 1980) but also a goodie! Also won a Nebula award. File under ‘when computers go bad’!
- I Am Legend A real oldie (1954) but definitely a classic – don’t let the recent Will Smith film put you off (haven’t seen it myself but heard its not great). Vampires rock.
- Wrath of a Mad God (Darkwar) I’ve been following the adventures of Pug ever since I was given a copy of Magician at some point in the mid-80′s (and which I’ve read a few times since!). I’ve read all of Feists books down through the years and FINALLY (and a little sadly) its all over – this book just wraps it all up – veggie reading but of the best kind, I couldn’t put it down. At least I assume this book wraps it up – how more powerful can he get??
If anyone has any recommendations along a similar genre, please leave a comment!